Cathy Crosslin

Cathy Crosslin
Cathy Crosslin

Wednesday, June 16, 2010

David Lewis: A Great Man

Today, this week, this month and for the rest of my life I mourn my friend David Lewis. And I know that I am not the only one. In our office, the grief is thick and impenetrable. But as much as I mourn my own loss, I also mourn for the world, for we lost one of God's chosen.

David was Gordon's confidant and gut check guy. David was Katie's rock and protector. And for me, well David taught me just how strong a woman can be. He was a mentor and a friend. And good Lord that man made me laugh. Anyone who knows us has heard of the legendary trips every summer to Montana to fish the Missouri River. For hours and days I stood with Gordy and David in the river, listening to all manner of "b.s." about how I can't catch fish. None of that is true of course - but that was half the fun. David absolutely HATED my tropical shorts and claimed those shorts caused the fish to go belly-up and that's how I caught them.

One early morning on the river David and I stood alone, side by side for hours catching fish in silence; it was one of the best "conversations" I've ever had. He had his own names for me, his own comments and cues to remind me to love myself, and Katie and I both knew that at any moment David would drop anything to be at our side if we needed him.

David brought love, light and laughter to every corner of this world. If
you've been touched by David, you've been touched by a spirit that exists inside each of us, yet often unseen. His love generated friendships around the globe, each of which he nurtured with his own unique style. David was an inspiration in so many ways, living the way St. Francis put forth when he said, "Preach the gospel every day, and if necessary use words."

Someone took David from us too soon for our liking. But I choose to believe this murderer had no idea the kind of spirit this act has unleashed upon the world. As powerful as David Lewis the man was, David Lewis the legacy has no limits of human form or function.

On June 9th I called my friend and colleague David Lewis to give him some great news on a project we were planning, and to share a personal victory. He has yet to return my call. But I am patient, and I will wait, and the legacy of my friend will stay in touch with me in my heart.


Cathy Crosslin
CEO and Managing Partner
Instar Performance
ccrosslin@instarperformance.com

No comments:

Post a Comment